The Deepings, with their rural charm and historic buildings lie at the edge of the fens.
The Deepings received their first charter to hold a market from King Henry III in 1220. The town of Market Deeping, and surrounding villages thrived, benefitting from the trade facilitated by the River Welland.
The Deepings have royal connections, Joan Plantagenet, wife of Edward, the Black Prince, was from the area, and Margaret Beaufort, the mother of the first Tudor King Henry VII, held the ancient title of Lady Deeping and her coat of arms can be seen on the walls of St Guthlac’s Church in Market Deeping.
In the 19th Century William Holland and William Page founded a distillery at Market Deeping which produced medicines and essential oils that were world renowned. Along with lavender and clove oil, the distillery also produced opiates and hemlock, which were sold not only across the country, but also exported.